Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Great Depression/ The New Deal

When I was giving my acceptance speech, I promised a new deal for the American people which would help solve the economy's problems. The New Deal I promised the American people began to take shape immediately after my Inauguration in March. Later, a second New Deal was to take place, which included union protection programs, the Social Security Act, and different programs to help tenant farmers and migrant workers. The New Deal act really improved the lives of people suffering from the depression. During the Great Depression blacks were becoming angry at continuing racial injustice and they were threatening to march; so I signed an executive order setting up a Fair Employment Practices Committee(FEPC) to prevent discrimination towards employment and such. When the stock market crashed, it hit Wall Street; but people didn't think that it would have as much impact as it did. My plan helped sort out our economy but their were flaws; like it didn't raise the GNP because I refused to make the deficits any higher.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm Abraham lincoln and I know it hard being president during the Great Depression. I had to do somthing not as hard but it split the country apart. The civil war was a tough time for me because i had to fight against my own country. At the end black people were just as free as anyone else.
    -Jeff Strongoli

    ReplyDelete